Job Title: Manager, Policy and Advocacy
Organization: National Endowment for Financial Education
Reports To: Managing Director, Policy and Advocacy
Location: Downtown Denver, Colorado preferred; Washington, D.C. area considered for the right candidate
Type: Full-time, permanent
At the National Endowment for Financial Education (NEFE), we champion effective financial education. We are the independent, centralizing voice providing leadership, research, and collaboration to advance financial well-being. We do this by mobilizing and inspiring educators, researchers, and advocates nationwide to maximize the impact of financial education. We work hard to remove barriers, amplify outcomes, and elevate effective models through leadership, research, and collaboration. We believe this is important because everyone deserves the opportunity to live their best financial life and that equitable and effective
financial education makes it easier for everyone to navigate the financial system, creating a more just society.
The National Endowment for Financial Education is seeking a Manager, Policy and Advocacy to join the policy team.
· NEFE’s policy and advocacy team develops and leads the organization’s annual policy and advocacy strategy. This includes selecting priority policy issues, tracking relevant legislative and regulatory activities, providing technical input on policy and crafting testimonials on the benefits of financial education. The policy team synthesizes and communicates policy implications drawing from NEFE’s research and thought leadership work. NEFE’s policy arm is a newer team at NEFE, and this position would play a role in building out our evolving organizational focus.
· The preferred start date is flexible but ideally not later than November 2023.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
In consultation with supervisors, this person would:
· Assists in developing and implementing comprehensive advocacy strategies that align with NEFE’s goals and missions.
· Helps develop content for NEFE one-pagers, talking points, issues briefs, related charts and visuals, infographics, and presentations to be used with internal or
external audiences to advance NEFE policy activities.
· Assists in the developing, proof-reading, fact-checking, and reviewing documents, presentations, and data analysis on behalf of the policy team.
· Assists in monitoring and analyzing financial education legislation to stay informed about relevant developments that might NEFE’s advocacy strategies and iterate when needed.
· Actively and fully participates in helping to develop the policy team’s annual strategy, goals, and objectives in support of NEFE’s priorities.
· Supports impact measurement of advocacy efforts including identifying KPIs and relevant metrics.
· Attends and reports on conferences, briefings, hearings, coalition meetings and conference calls as needed.
· Support preparations for events targeted at policy audiences; includes guest list management, outreach, and drafting communications for event participants.
· Implement and coordinate projects as directed by Managing Director, Policy and Advocacy.
· Collaborate with the foundation’s operations, insights, research, and external affairs staff on various projects and initiatives as appropriate.
· Collaborate with external partners on cross-organization initiatives as appropriate.
· Other duties as assigned.
· Bachelor’s degree from accredited college or university in communications, English, political science, geography or related field.
· Experience with developing and coordinating advocacy campaigns either to influence public opinion or generate support for an organization’s cause.
· Experience with building and maintaining relationships with stakeholders, including government officials.
· Demonstrated technical and scholarly writing skills including translating technical writing for non-research audiences.
· Comfortable collaborating with a team as well as working alone.
· Ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines.
· Proficiency in MS Office applications.
· Interest in financial education and financial well-being.
· Commitment to equity and inclusion as organizational practice and culture.
· Strong personal belief in the importance of research integrity (e.g., conducting, citing, and using it appropriately).
· Master’s degree from accredited university in Public Policy, Public Administration, Business Administration and Management, or related field.
· Experience with media relations such as writing press releases, coordinating interviews and responding to media inquiries.
· Knowledge of and experience in the financial education space.
Physical/Mental Demands of the Job
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, sit, talk, hear, and use hands and fingers to operate a computer and telephone keyboard. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision requirements due to computer work. Light to moderate lifting is required (e.g., 20lb box of research papers). Ability to uphold the stress of occasional traveling. Ability to uphold the stress of giving presentations. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work hours are generally 8:30 AM -5:00 PM Monday – Friday – up to 50% remote work is offered. Employees work directly with their supervisor and HR to determine the work schedule that works best for them and provides sufficient overlap with other NEFE employees.