Colorado Nonprofit Association
Major Gifts Officer
Colorado Gives Foundation connects people, ideas, and Colorado nonprofits to make good happen. We are a Jefferson County grantmaker, investing over $9M annually to help Jeffco nonprofits. We also work statewide, to build the capacity of nonprofits and donors through Colorado Gives 365, nonprofit endowments, and donor services. We make it easy for people to donate to the causes they care about, enabling meaningful change to help our neighbors thrive. Our work is rooted in attentive listening and a firm commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion. Together, we strive to build resilient, connected, and thriving communities. Colorado Gives Foundation is where donors find and discover the community impact that matters most to them, which is good for everyone.
The Major Gifts Officer is the in-house expert on individual giving whose primary focus is optimizing and growing the Foundations Individual Giving Program. This position will engage Jeffco-affiliated individuals, families, and Advisors in our efforts to ensure all of Jeffco is thriving.
Statewide, this position will identify, cultivate, and grow partnerships and opportunities/offerings that grow brand recognition and generate sufficient revenue for our Jeffco efforts. Statewide, they will engage financial institutions and other business affiliates in giving products that produce brand recognition or generate sufficient revenue for our Jeffco efforts.
Do you love helping individual donors make a positive difference in the community? Are you a natural people person who makes connections with just about anyone? Are you skilled at fundraising? Are you an inclusive and collaborative leader? If so, please read on, as this may be just the role for you.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to communicate with different departments clearly and concisely.
- Is both reliable and dependable.
- Highly organized with attention to detail and timeliness.
- Understand current and emerging trends in philanthropy. Ability to apply complex thinking to a wide range of intellectual and practical problems and deal with difficult situations innovatively.
- Skilled in fundraising and donor stewardship.
Education, Experience, and Certificates
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant disciplines such as Sales, Nonprofit Management, Fundraising, Marketing/Communications, or equivalent years of experience required.
- At least 5-7 years of experience in major gifts fundraising, donor cultivation, and stewardship.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish, a plus.
Mission Impact & Program Revenue
- Accountable for achieving revenue targets associated with all Individual Giving Products, including Individual DAFs, Impact Area Funds, Advisor Managed Funds, Legacy Gifts, and other giving/engagement offerings.
- Accountable for achieving revenue and engagement targets focused on Jeffco individuals. This includes engaging individual donors in giving to impact areas and any other funds or offerings serving Jefferson County.
- Accountable for identifying and deploying strategies to optimize the individual giving program by increasing revenue and/or the number of individuals participating, adjusting program and product offerings based on customer feedback and results.
Prospecting to Donor Stewardship
- Identify, research, and prioritize prospective donors. Leverage tools and networks to make connections as well as identify opportunities to attract new partners, including but not limited to speaking engagements, educational/engagement events, and marketing campaigns.
- Lead external customer meetings. Prepare compelling proposals and presentations tailored to donors’ interests and philanthropic goals.
- In collaboration with other departments, orchestrates collateral, programs, campaigns, and events to steward the donors in philanthropy.
- Participate and lead community engagement efforts that build the organization’s profile as a leader in philanthropy. Represent the organization at internal and external events, establishing yourself as the “go-to” resource for individuals and advisors in the philanthropic community.
- Responsible for donor pipeline development and management.
- Cultivate and steward relationships with current and prospective donors.
- Maintain a portfolio of donors and ensure regular communication and engagement with a focus on retention and growth of funds or increase the number of products/offerings a donor engages with.
- Provide excellent customer service as primary contact for any account issues; partner with the Donor Support team to ensure resolution; prompt response to external customer needs is paramount.
- Collaborate with other departments to ensure we can operationally execute the parts of any individual giving product. Act as the point of contact for all invoices and agreements. Provide a seamless hand-off to the appropriate operational teams to deliver on commitments.
- Utilize customer and market data to recommend enhancements to existing and develop new products and services that will grow the giving program.
- Partner with the Community Impact Team to provide nonprofit recommendations to donors based on their philanthropic interest areas.
- Develop and optimize partnerships that can serve individual donors statewide in a way that is efficient and effective at generating sufficient revenue to support Jeffco efforts.
- Ensure the program is efficient, leading to a positive investment and/or impact return, including labor and operating budget expenses.
Data Management & Reporting
- Maintain accurate records in the organization’s CRM system. Ensure all interactions are planned and tracked in the CRM.
- Track progress toward fundraising goals and evaluate the effectiveness of fundraising activities.
- Participate in reporting efforts as needed for regular reporting both internally and externally.
- Develop and share annual impact reports with honest assessments and recommendations for future success.
- Assist with events and projects to better engage individual donors.
- Model organizational values and drive culture.
- Acute attention to detail in every aspect of the job.
- Provide exceptional service to other employees, donors, and nonprofit partners.
- Other duties as assigned.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
You are valued, and you belong. We are committed to maintaining the best environment for our employees where people can show up as their authentic selves and grow with the Foundation. We are committed to creating an equitable and inclusive workplace and can only achieve this together.
In that spirit, we provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, genetics, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.